Wednesday, February 15, 2006

World Traveler

Studying Abroad...

Ever since I started college, I wanted to study abroad. I do not know why, but I always thought that going away would be like starting over, a new challenge or an exciting adventure. I like Fairfield University, but I wanted to see more...to do more...to get away from the Connecticut bubble. Before last year, I had never left the east coast of the United States, I had never been away from my family by more than an hour drive in my entire life. I thought that if I left for a semester, I would be able to find out if I could stand alone.

I decided to study in Florence for the spring semester of my junior year. I left my snug and warm house to catch my flight in late January. This was the day after a long blizzard, turning what would have been a long and annoying flight with a connector in Germany, into an even longer and more complicated process with all the delays and cancelations. But I eventually made it and arrived at my apartment in Firenze, Italia.

For the next few months, I had many adventures. I would roam around the city, get lost, and try to find my way back to the Duomo, my mantra being "all roads lead to the Duomo". Well that being said, they do, but it does not help anyone if they are going in the wrong direction. I loved being in a city where I could walk almost anywhere. I liked the girls I was living with and how easy it was to travel around not only the surrounding areas in Italy, but also to visit other countries.

On my blog, I decided to make a map (pictured above, the countries in red are the one's i have visited) to showcase the countries I was able to visit while I was abroad. Looking back, I wish I had traveled more. But it was not really feasible. While I like to tavel, I also liked to stay in Florence and really experience what a foreign city is really like. Yes the bars, the restaurants, and all the sights were part of the experience. But so was the tempo, the way that people communicated and espcially the atmoshpere. It is so different than what I was used to. I found that I could fit in and stand apart from my family and safety net back home.

2 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Jocelyn Collen said...

Well aren't you the World Traveler Miss Spongberg!! :) I am so glad to have been a part of some of your travels...I can't wait to cover MORE ground with you.

<3 Joce xoxo

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger ... said...

I think Thailand should be next!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home