Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My Blog after Stone


To write or not to write...
After reading Biz Stone's Who Let the Blogs Out, I have been thinking about the future of my blog. This blog started out as an assignment for class, but I am unsure if I will continue it after I graduate this semester. A blog is great to have as a student, or even after I finish school, it would work well if I wanted to keep updates for family and friends if I travel (a trip to Thailand after graduation has been proposed by my friend). But what purpose does a blog have in the real world? I do not kid myself to think of my life as a student as experience for the scary beyond.

Biz Stone explores how the world of blogs can be seducing. It is easy to get sucked into posting three or four times a day, especially when one is supposed to be on the clock at work. I know that now that I am on facebook it occasionally becomes addictive to check new pictures and to search for people that I have not seen for years. Stone gives many examples of how blogs can be a great way to parlay your interest and expertise in one area into something that can expand and grow with you, rather than letting it take over your existence.

But Stone's stories of people who blog about their work and the consequences of providing too much information is, to me, frightening. Right now, I am a student. My work is completely caught up with the rest of my life. But what is ok to blog about now, will not be appropriate if I get a 9-5 at some company or other. My life in the corporate arena would not be alright to blog about. Stone writes that the lines governing blogging behavior are starting to become more strict. The web has opened up new opportunities for expressing opinions, but the popularity of blogging has created new rules and regulations as well.

I think that my writing falls at a point where blogging is starting to lose some of its freedom and gain restrictions. Blogging is no longer as secretive or as unusual as it was a few years ago. I do not know if it will offer me enough to want to continue. Does the ability to express my ideas and feelings on the web overcome the disadvantages that result from blogging as a grown up in the real world?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home